Are you interested in how Europe can strengthen its international cooperation and external action agendas with the Global South and Africa in particular? Are you ready to engage with a dynamic network of more than 500 researchers from all over Europe? And do you have experience in policy-oriented research and organising multi-stakeholder events?
We are looking for an Engagement Officer to join our team in Brussels.
Who are we?
The European Think Tanks Group (ETTG) is a network of independent European think tanks working on EU international cooperation for global sustainable development. Our members are:
- The ECDPM
- The Elcano Royal Institute / Real Instituto Elcano
- The International Affairs Institute / Istituto Affari Internazionali (IAI)
- The Institute for Sustainable Development and International Relations / Institut du Développement Durable et des Relations Internationales (IDDRI)
- German Institute of Development and Sustainability (IDOS)
- The ODI
These six institutes have some 500 researchers, covering all major aspects of the EU’s external action, international development and humanitarian policy. They share a strong commitment to higher global welfare and a strong belief in the importance of better collective action to achieve global goals. As think tanks, and as policy-focused research institutes, they also share a commitment to effective outreach and engagement with policy-makers and policy processes.
What will you be doing?
As Engagement Officer, you will:
- Support the ETTG director and coordinator in preparing the agendas for the weekly meetings of the secretariat, the monthly meetings with the representatives of the member institutes (Sherpas and the biannual ETTG directors/board meetings.
- Provide support/lead to the organisation of ETTG events by finding venues, invite speakers, send general invitations, organise catering, ensure follow-up, etc.
- Manage the ETTG website and keep it updated (e.g. by uploading publications, blogs and upcoming events).
- Manage the ETTG social media (Twitter and LinkedIn) by posting / reposting news from the network but also expand the ETTG contacts and build relationships with EU-based and other actors.
- Coordinate the editing and designing procedures for the new publications and their active promotion (e.g. social media, newsletter, among the network).
- Prepare the bi-monthly ETTG newsletter and spread it widely through the network, by liaising with the communication teams of each member
- Prepare draft contracts for subgrantees and proactively monitor the payment to the members.
- Support the ETTG secretariat in fundraising activities (e.g. drafting applications and reporting).
- Expand the network’s relations by engaging with a broad range of stakeholders (e.g. journalists, funders, NGOs / civil society), while keeping the ETTG lists of contacts regularly updated.
- Support the preparation and dissemination of the visuals (logos, videos, brochures, communication cards etc).
- Act as a liaison between the secretariat and the members / communication teams for the promotion of events, publications and blogs.
- Respond to external requests and keep the ETTG director & coordinator informed about these.
- Update the ETTG contact list.
- Coordinate travel planning and organise visits and appointments.
- Prepare the travel declaration formats on Salesforce and add the expenses.
- Manage calls/emails inquiries for meetings.
Who are we looking for?
Our ideal candidate:
- Has a master’s degree in political science or communications with a major in development cooperation.
- Has at least three years of relevant work experience, preferably in an international environment.
- Has excellent communication (written and spoken) skills.
- Has excellent organisation skills.
- Is fluent in English (C2 written and spoken), and preferably has a good level of French (at least B2).
- Has advanced computer skills (especially with layout work in Word and Excel).
- Has experience with database and content management (website) systems.
It would be an asset if you:
- Have professional experience in the Brussels environment around the EU institutions.
- Have experience engaging with the European Institutions or a think tank.
- Are a dedicated team worker, who is accurate, flexible and dependable.
- Have a valid work permit for Belgium (if applicable).
What do we offer you?
- A one year contract for 40 hours a week, with the possibility of extension to one year or more upon good performance and depending on budget availability.
- A gross monthly salary of € 3,000 – €3,500 based on experience.
- A holiday and end-of-year allowance.
- A generous leave package (47.6 leave days per calendar year, based on a 40 hour work week).
- Possibilities to travel in Europe and Africa.
- A lot of room to grow and learn.
- A home in an international and dynamic organisation.
The person will be based in the Brussels office of ECDPM and will report to the ETTG director and coordinator. The preferred starting date for the position is February 2023.
How to apply?
If you are interested in the position, please send (1) a completed application form and (2) your CV to Daniele Fattibene at email@example.com before January 9 2023, 18:00 CET. The subject line of your application should read: ‘Application ETTG Engagement Officer’. We will only look at applications that are on time, complete and in English.
Only selected candidates will be invited for an interview, preferably with physical presence in the week of 23 January 2023.
We believe that diversity is good for our people and our business. We promote and value diversity and inclusion among our staff and candidates – irrespective of their gender, age, nationality, race, culture, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or disability.
For more information about ETTG and our areas of work, please have a look at our website.