- This event has passed.
Live ETTG-IDDRI webinar event: Africa Post COVID 19 – Leapfrogging to sustainable, climate compatible development
June 24 @ 4:30 pm - 6:00 pm
Climate change and the green agenda are top priorities for both the African and the European continent. This has been clearly spelled out in the EU Comprehensive Strategy with Africa (March 2020) and in the African Union’s Climate Change Strategy (to be published soon). It can be assumed that these topics will be at the center of the upcoming 6th EU-AU Summit in October 2020.
Meanwhile, as the Covid-19 crisis erupted and has had important health and socio-economic impacts, this may have important implications on climate change, green transition, sustainable energy and food security agendas.
The aim of this webinar is to propose an in-depth exploration of the possible impacts of the Covid-19 crisis on greener and climate friendly economies in both Europe and Africa:
- Has Covid-19 made it more difficult or easier to work on a green transition and sustainable energy access?
- What can be expected from the African Union’s Climate Change Strategy and what will be the key areas of convergence and divergence with the priorities of the EU as set out in the Green Deal? How will Africa be able to reconcile its ambitions to restore economic growth, create value chains, development and jobs with the transition towards green economies?
- What role could and should the EU play in supporting this complex transition process?
90 minutes session, consisting of introduction by the moderator; thirty minutes reflections by the speakers; and Q&A, with questions from the moderator as well as from the audience; and wrap-up.
Moderator: Christine Hackenesch, DIE
Introductory remarks: Geert Laporte, Director, ETTG
– Carla Montesi, Director, DG DEVCO, Planet and prosperity
– Youba Sokona, Vice-Chair, Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)
– Jean Paul Adam, United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, Director, Technology, Climate Change and Natural Resources Management Division
Closing remarks: Sébastien Treyer, Director, IDDRI
Register to watch online here.
For French version of the invitation press here.
Image courtesy of Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade via Flickr.