- This event has passed.
Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung (FES) Africa Department and EU Office’s concluding seminar online event: Europe-Africa – Targeted Policy Advice in the run-up to the EU-AU Summit
June 9, 2020 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
The Friedrich-Ebert-Stiftung’s (FES) Africa Department and EU Office cordially invite you to the fifth and final webinar in our series “What’s the offer? A new partnership between Europe and Africa”.
In 2020, the nature of the cooperation between the European Union and Africa is negotiated and might profoundly change: a new EU-Sahel Strategy, a new EU-Africa Strategy, the EU-AU summit in autumn, the German Presidency of the Council of the EU, the development of new finance instruments – all against the background of a shaky multilateralism and the challenges posed by the corona crisis. An opportunity to raise the partnership to “a new level”? An opportunity to address not only issues such as security, migration, hunger and poverty but also sustainability, the empowerment of women and youth and fair trade?
In the fifth and concluding webinar of the series we would like to identify opportunities for targeted policy advice in order to push for a new, just and sustainable European-African partnership. The webinar will open with a rapport of the previous sessions on the promotion of democracy, investment and economy, and peace and security. Then, together with Geert Laporte (ECDPM; ETTG), Tanya Cox (CONCORD) and George Mukundi (Maendeleo Group; University of Cape Town), we would like to discuss and elaborate on priorities and opportunities for a tailored policy advice during the coming months. Based on the findings from the previous sessions and with reference to the broader dynamics of the European-African partnership and the consequences of the pandemic – what is the way ahead?
- Geert Laporte, Director European Think Tanks Group (ETTG); Deputy Director, European Centre for Development Policy Management (ECDPM)
- Tanya Cox, Director of CONCORD, the European confederation of development and relief NGOs
- George Mukundi,Adjunct Professor, Public Law Department, Faculty of Law, University of Cape Town; Chief Executive Officer, Maendeleo Group (Pty) Ltd, South Africa
- Daniela Iller, FES Brussels Office
- Anne Felmet, FES Africa Department
- Manfred Öhm, Head, FES Africa Department
- Gilbert Knies, FES Africa Department
Simultaneous interpretation for English and French will be provided.