- This event has passed.
The Nordic contribution to EU-Africa cooperation in times of threatened multilateralism
November 30, 2020 @ 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm
A virtual roundtable discussion with thought-leaders from Africa and the Nordics examinating the potential and value of a Nordic contribution to the EU-Africa relationship.
In March 2020, the European Commission released its communication Towards a comprehensive Strategy with Africa. Under Ursula von der Leyen, the Commission prioritises partnerships for green transition, digital transformation, sustainable growth, peace and governance, and migration and mobility.
But the dynamics within the EU external relations, the rise of populist nationalism, and the assertiveness of Africa’s self-image with emergent powers seeking increased influence there, present a complex background for a new direction for EU-Africa cooperation.
So how can the Nordics contribute to a genuine conversation on equal terms between the Europeans and Africans, and how can European policies be informed by African perspectives, values and realities?
The Hanaholmen Culture Centre and the Nordic Africa Institute are hosting a two-part event to discuss the Nordic multi-level partnership with Africa, and identify areas and ways in which the Nordics can contribute to the future of EU-Africa relations.
The Roundtable, on 30 November, featured thought-leaders from Africa and the Nordics examinating the potential and value of a Nordic contribution to the EU-Africa relationship, exploring ways to engage in honest conversation about how the Nordics and Africa can benefit from each other’s experience and support each other’s priorities.
- Therese Sjömander Magnusson, Director, The Nordic Africa Institute (Moderator)
- Hanna Serwaa Tetteh, Special Representative of the Secretary-General to the African Union
- Adebayo Olukushi, Director, Africa and West Asia, International IDEA
- Jakkie Cilliers, Chairman, ISS Board of Trustees, Head, African Futures and Innovation team
- Eleanor Fisher, Professor, Head of Research, The Noridc Africa Institute
- Sinikka Antila, EU Ambassador to Namibia
- Geert Laporte, Deputy Director, ECPDM, and Director, European Think Tanks Group (ETTG)
- Amanda Hammar, Professor, University of Copenhagen, and President, European African Studies Association (AEGIS)
- Torbjörn Pettersson, diplomat, former Ambassador of Sweden to Ethiopia, the AU and IGAD
“I think it is essential for any type of cohesion in any type of society” – Geert Laporte, European Think Tanks Group ETTG Director & ECDPM Deputy Director was one of the African and European thought leaders who came together to discuss the changing character of the socialcontract in Africa.
Read the summary of the Nordic Africa Institute and Hanaholmen – Swedish-Finnish Cultural Centre event.